Saturday 11 July 2015

A house is just a box

       When my wife and I initially made the decision to pack our life up and make a big move across the planet we were renting an entire house.  Prior to our three floor character house that cost 1700$ CDN a month to rent,  we were living in a duplex that cost about the same.  50 percent of all living space was taken up with stuff we never used and we were heating rooms we were never in.  For me the move to a bigger house signified a step up in the world or being more successful.  This delusion that living in a large home or owning one would make me a better man was soon shattered.
I mean... How many people live here???
         In the Philippines I witnessed a phenomenon.  I was surrounded by the smiling faces of people who had just had their entire livelihoods blown to kingdom come by a huge typhoon.  I know for a fact, that if some of the million dollar home owners from my hometown were to have their houses destroyed they would not be quite as chipper as the humble people of the small village Batug.  So what is the reason for this?  Well by my observation a few things.  1-a kick ass attitude 2-low expectations 3-less to begin with!  So in short less is better.

      My entire life I had been tricked into thinking a big house on the hill would make me a successful man, well lets look at how that big house on the hill would effect our planet and myself as a human.  Obviously the first thing is the price, to purchase a home in my hometown cost a regular working dude like me anywhere from 300 000$-1000000$.   The initial down payment is more money than the average dude has and leaves him/her paying for it for the rest of their lives and maybe their children too...  I mean, its just a box that we sleep in right??  Well thats just my opinion, and dont get me wrong I like comfort just as much as the next guy.  So the next issue is how are these heated boxes effecting our sacred planet that we all share?  Well Im no expert, but the obvious was made more obvious after my father introduced the "Earthship" concept to me.  Its not rocket science,  modern day homes have been designed to take from the planet and give nothing back but our watered down excrement and burned fossil fuels.  A conventional home pipes in water from afar while the water that falls on the roof is diverted away from the structure.  A modern home uses electricity and fuel to heat itself while the constant energy of the sun is not only neglected, but blocked out.  Our waste is mixed with water to create a larger mass of toxic fluid to be dealt with on a much larger scale. 
         When you think about it in the last century or so mankind has regressed in our ability to live in harmony with our planet.  For those of you with food in your electric freezer and two feet of snow outside of your doorstep, you may or may not begin to see the obvious truth that has been brought to my attention.  WE DONT NEED ALL THIS!!  Do your planet a favor and make a few changes to your homes and lifestyles!

No comments:

Post a Comment